Saturday, July 29, 2017

Glasgow Rose

I finally picked up my cutter again after a long hiatus. I had no reason for not working on my stained glass, it just fell out of favor.

A friend of mine at work and got talking about designs one day and she led me to Charles Rennie MacIntosh (1868 - 1928) who was well know for his use of the Glasgow Rose. I went on line looked at the rose patterns and from the volume of work out there came up with my first pattern.


That was it. I printed out the pattern, Sandi put it on the wall in her work station and we went back to work. A few weeks later I was out in my garage cleaning up a bit, looked at my tools and decided I really needed some glass cutting therapy, but what to do? The Glasgow Rose. But I looked at it and realized I had crazy lines, and too much stuff happening on the pattern. I needed simple lines and a cleaner design that focused on the roses.

The final version of the pattern you see here went through a number of iterations as I could not get the leaves right. Several critiques from work mates set me straight :-)


The next weekend I set to work on my pattern. I decided to try two tone roses. Dark on the outside and light in the interior. I tried to get creative and mix the interior with random dark pieces. It didn't appeal to me


So I replaced them with a solid interior, which looked much better.  Work progressed over a couple of weekends. I would cut a few pieces here and there until I completed the pattern. 



My interest stuck and I kept up the pace on this piece. It has been nice to get back into my stained glass. Finished foiling


Framed in zinc and soldered. 


I used copper backed foil as I expected to patina this one in copper. All that's left is to patina it and frame it.

and then I broke it. While washing it in the laundry tub it slipped from my hand and dropped. There was enough flex in the frame or something that the largest piece cracked in two. Needless to say I was a bit frustrated.


I really did not want to take it apart. I went to a stained glass group I am subscribed to and one recommendation was for me to fix it by foiling over the crack. It was in a spot that actually looked like it could be part of the design. 

That's what I ended up doing. Here's a pic of the final piece.





Sunday, August 9, 2015

Stained Glass Panel: The Phoenix

One of my favorite pieces designed by Frank Lloyd Wright is the Lake Geneva Tulip.

It is from a resort hotel overlooking Lake Geneva in Wisconsin, The hotel was designed by Wright in 1911. Full details: http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Artifact%20Pages/PhRtS171.htm

It's gone now, but one of the design elements of the hotel were the windows which had a "Tulip" theme. Wright named the design "Tulip" because of the flower shape pattern in the cente

http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Artifact%20Pages/PhRtS171windows.htm

While I can see the tulip, which is in line with Wright's philosophy and his connection with Nature, I also see wings. With a little colour change I have a new piece I call the Pheonix

-Tim

-------------------------------------

I transferred the design to paper using Visio. My original intent was this piece was going to be a leaded glass window so cut the glass with this in mind. I had some nice red glass left over from a previous project and decided to use it. It makes this piece look more like a phoenix than a tulip and I am okay with that :)



I started leading the piece and ran into the pattern "growing" with each piece of lead added. I need to figure out where I went wrong with the cutting. So instead of fighting with it I switched to foil. Given the switch was relatively straight forward I'm pretty sure I know where I went wrong. I also decided to add a bit more colour to the center. I need to work on my smaller cuts. I got a little impatient here.


Once foiled I set to work on soldering. I chose copper backed foil as I intended to use a copper patina on the piece. Soldering went okay, though a bit messy in the center. It's a hobby so flaws are good right ?


I had some left over cherry from another project and just enough to frame it. I guess you could say this project was made from the scraps of other projects. From the ashes a new piece is created


Here's the piece installed



Thanks for reading!

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Palate Panel. I need to get moving, moving

I put the design of this panel together several years ago. I finally have gotten around to getting the glass cut out for it



The plan is to use a combination of lead and copper foil to complete this one. I like how the white looks now. It will be very different once the lead/foil are in place.

More to come later this month.

-T

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Walk to Me.... Complete

And it's done. Took awhile as I've been doing other things.


All in all it turned out well. It catches the light quite nicely. Now what to do next..... what to do......

-Tim

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Walk to Me - Progress

I made some progress this weekend on leading the panel. Originally I started with a thicker lead came, but it overpowered the piece so I went to a smaller came. It was definitely the right choice.


I'll probably putter at this one for a couple of weeks. It will be important to get the lines right.

-Tim

Friday, April 26, 2013

Walk To Me

This is a pattern from Chantal Stained glass patterns (http://free-stainedglasspatterns.com/1set22.html)
and is called "walk to me". I did use the full pattern and centered it to fit a specific size. Very colorful.

It will be leaded with a nice flat came to match the geometric nature of the panel. I'll post a picture once it is complete.