Monday, December 3, 2012

Storage Unit / Wine Rack

Here's my latest project before finishing and installation. It's a storage unit / wine rack that will be installed in my brother's restaurant. We needed to maximize the wine bottle space in the upper compartments. While the x-bracing you often see in wine racks would have been nice, it wastes space in the corners (or appeared to) so we decided to go with cubbies. The unit is 45" wide and 7' 81/2" when it is sitting on its base (not shown)

The unit prior to finishing/installation
Bottom unit with the top removed


The unit comes apart to make it easier to transport. My brother and I don't live in the same city so the unit has a bit of travel time ahead of it.




The top secures to the bottom using Chicago screws. These are turned brass bolts for knock-down use or for their traditional use in binding. As I am "binding" the top to the bottom, these screws are an excellent choice. Solid brass they will not rust so a great choice given this unit will see some water/wine.


Here's some action shots of the unit in progress. I didn't bring my camera out early enough for the initial pictures. It is made with birch plywood and joined together using dado joints and biscuits. The only nails used in this piece were to secure the back panel to the unit and to tack the trim pieces on.


 -T

No comments: