Saturday, July 29, 2017

Glasgow Rose

I finally picked up my cutter again after a long hiatus. I had no reason for not working on my stained glass, it just fell out of favor.

A friend of mine at work and got talking about designs one day and she led me to Charles Rennie MacIntosh (1868 - 1928) who was well know for his use of the Glasgow Rose. I went on line looked at the rose patterns and from the volume of work out there came up with my first pattern.


That was it. I printed out the pattern, Sandi put it on the wall in her work station and we went back to work. A few weeks later I was out in my garage cleaning up a bit, looked at my tools and decided I really needed some glass cutting therapy, but what to do? The Glasgow Rose. But I looked at it and realized I had crazy lines, and too much stuff happening on the pattern. I needed simple lines and a cleaner design that focused on the roses.

The final version of the pattern you see here went through a number of iterations as I could not get the leaves right. Several critiques from work mates set me straight :-)


The next weekend I set to work on my pattern. I decided to try two tone roses. Dark on the outside and light in the interior. I tried to get creative and mix the interior with random dark pieces. It didn't appeal to me


So I replaced them with a solid interior, which looked much better.  Work progressed over a couple of weekends. I would cut a few pieces here and there until I completed the pattern. 



My interest stuck and I kept up the pace on this piece. It has been nice to get back into my stained glass. Finished foiling


Framed in zinc and soldered. 


I used copper backed foil as I expected to patina this one in copper. All that's left is to patina it and frame it.

and then I broke it. While washing it in the laundry tub it slipped from my hand and dropped. There was enough flex in the frame or something that the largest piece cracked in two. Needless to say I was a bit frustrated.


I really did not want to take it apart. I went to a stained glass group I am subscribed to and one recommendation was for me to fix it by foiling over the crack. It was in a spot that actually looked like it could be part of the design. 

That's what I ended up doing. Here's a pic of the final piece.


and here's a picture of it in it's final home




Post a Comment